Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» HELP!
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 3:34 pm by Guest

» Obama is not the change we wanted
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeTue Jul 21, 2009 7:34 am by Guest

» Here we go again
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2009 8:06 am by Guest

» Replacements wanted
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:14 am by Guest

» Drug tourists in Bisbee
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 am by Guest

» A brave new world?
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 pm by Guest

» Posters names ordered revealed to Judge
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 7:22 pm by The Bisbee Avenger

» All's Quiet On The Bisbee Front
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:48 pm by Guest

» Congratulations to the new President
Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:14 pm by Guest

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat
CalendarCalendar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of on your social bookmarking website
Top posters
The Bisbee Avenger
Farewell Totse.com Vote_lcapFarewell Totse.com Voting_barFarewell Totse.com Vote_rcap 
sandman
Farewell Totse.com Vote_lcapFarewell Totse.com Voting_barFarewell Totse.com Vote_rcap 
Jack
Elysian
sonora
Lady Zannah
Zasu Pitts
Admin
Sephiroth
Wildfire

Farewell Totse.com

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Farewell Totse.com Empty
PostSubject: Farewell Totse.com   Farewell Totse.com Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 2:47 pm

I had been expecting it for a while, but it finally happened. One of my favourite websites, The Temple of the Screaming Electron, has gone off the map. Totse.com was first created as a dialup bulletin board in 1989 and at one time boasted the world's largest internet acessable text file archive. By the time I came to it, however, it had migrated to the worldwide web. Totse began as a haven for radicals and for electronic copies of the anarchist's cookbook, but blossomed into a clearinghouse for information on fringe ideology, firearms and explosives, comptuer hacking and security, and also, though perhaps not its brightest moment, a point of focus for federal investigation.

Because of my conservative disposition, the site offered me an opportunity to cut my teeth on opposing opinion, sharpen my debate skills, and stake out a position as the site's resident political black sheep. After a year, I became moderator of the politcs forum, followed later by the linguistics forum and the legal forum, a position I maintained for the better part of three years until the site was finally shut down today. I didn't like many of the ideas I encountered there, but I did learn how to confront them and in the years I spent at the site, meeting viewpoints and people from around the world, I gained a richer perspective on the breadth of human culture. I met my best friend there, one of my first true loves, and a great many other people whose opinion I value and whose presence I cherish. I met people I never would have met otherwise, some who live in my town and I might have passed on the street without knowing, and people who live on the other side of the world, whose language and culture I never otherwise might have had the chance to learn about. With all its lunacy and outrageousness, high technology, and high emotion, the Totse community was a microcosm of the internet at its best and worst and it will be sorely missed.
Back to top Go down

Farewell Totse.com
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of a Topic-
Jump to: